Featured snippets are those ‘answer boxes’ that are presented on top of Google’s organic results under the ads.
Featured snippets are designed to be quick answers to questions you might ask Google. They can appear as a paragraph, list or table.
If your small business can score one or several featured snippets, it will boost your digital marketing and drive traffic to your website.
Why? For two reasons. First, snippets appear at or near the top of Google search result pages. Second, they’re given special status. That visibility and credibility then rubs off your small business.
If you want your small business website to appear in a featured snippet, it usually has to rank in the top 10 for a particular Google search. This, in turn, means it’s important for your small business to invest in SEO (search engine optimisation), because top 10 websites generally have quality content.
Here are a few tips to get your site to appear in a snippet:
Include specific keywords to match search criteria
- Use and organise your headers
- Add high-quality images and videos
- Offer purposeful content that will instantly answer the question
- Think like a customer and answer the why, what, who, how, when and where
- Check out the “People also ask” box in search results and review it for content ideas that you may have overlooked
Winning snippets isn’t easy, because lots of small businesses compete for them. But if you succeed, it will deliver a nice boost to your marketing efforts.