“What should my small business post on social media? And how often should we post?”
These seem like simple questions, but the answers aren’t so straightforward.
You want your posts to be interesting, but you also want them to be educational.
Engaging too little is a classic small business marketing mistake; but engaging too often runs the risk of overwhelming your audience.
What small businesses should post on social media
Here are 10 social media content ideas:
- Publish news
- Offer opinions
- Give advice
- Celebrate your customers
- Share testimonials
- Ask for feedback
- Run contests
- Use fill-in-the-blank questions
- Post behind-the-scenes photos
- Share inspirational quotes
How often small businesses should post on social media
- Facebook is about quality rather than quantity. So while you should try to post once per day, you shouldn’t post any more than three times per day.
- The same goes for Instagram.
- Twitter is a more ephemeral social media platform. So while quality is still important, you should focus more on quantity. Post anywhere from once to 10 times per day.
- LinkedIn places the highest value on quality. Again, try to post at least once per day, but if you can’t think of anything of value, skip a day. Your daily limit should be three posts.
These are general rules that will apply to most small businesses, but might not necessarily apply to yours, so don’t be afraid to experiment.