Podcasts are growing in popularity in Australia. According to Roy Morgan, 1.6 million Australians download podcasts every month and this number is growing. Creating podcast content requires more work than blog posts but it can yield a loyal following.
What are podcasts?
Podcasts are audio recordings that can be downloaded to your laptop, tablet, or smartphone. You can also subscribe to a podcast series to receive regular episodes.
Easy accessibility on smartphones is driving the growing appetite for podcasts. Podcasts don’t require reading text or watching videos. Simply hit play and listen while driving, commuting, or exercising. That’s what makes podcasts such a powerful marketing tool. It’s an easy way to consume content.
What are the benefits of podcasting?
- Podcasts can help drive traffic to your website.
- You can repurpose a podcast into other types of content, like blog posts.
- Your podcast followers become part of your tribe. Marketing to a loyal tribe usually means higher conversion rates.
- As your podcast grows, it may attract advertisers that add another revenue stream to your small business.
How to use podcasts to market your small business
Many small businesses shy away from podcasts because they think they’re not big or popular enough to draw a following. Is it more difficult for a small business to gain a following on a podcast? Sure. But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t produce them. It should fall under your digital marketing umbrella.
If you’re new to podcasting, there are two approaches you can take.
- Start your own podcast. If you’re thinking of starting a podcast, identify your target audience and what are they interested in learning about. The more unique your small business is, the easier it is to create niche content that positions you as an expert. It won’t be long before people start tuning in.
- Be a guest on other podcasts. Another way to get noticed in the podosphere is to be a guest on other podcasts. Podcasters always welcome the opportunity to conduct interviews. Reach out to the top podcasters in your industry but be strategic in your proposal. Remember, A-list podcasters are not short of interviewees. Find a unique angle that fits their content and audience.
Don’t know where to begin in writing a great podcast script? We have a team of writers that can help! Email us at [email protected].