Ask any small business in Australia who exactly they are marketing to and the most likely response you’ll get is ‘everyone’. Surely the wider you cast the net, the better the response will be – right?
Marketing your small business to all and sundry is a recipe for wasted money and opportunity. Instead, your small business marketing strategy should be all about conveying the right message to the right people.
This allows you to tailor your pitch appropriately, concentrating your resources on the group of people most likely to buy from you.
How to identify your target market
As a small business owner, you should have a rough idea of who your typical customers are. While this is a good start, you do need to spend time pinning down the details.
To do that:
- Look at your current client base for common characteristics and interests. Which ones bring in the most business? Why do you think that is? If possible, ask your customers directly for the most accurate information.
- Check out your competition. Who are they targeting? How are they reaching them? Are there any gaps you can exploit?
- Check your website’s analytics to find out the age group and gender of everyone who has visited your site.
Use this information to create ‘buyer personas’ for your company. These are descriptions of your ideal customers that include:
- Education level
- Interests / hobbies
- Marital status
- How your product / service helps them
- How they consume media – be this online or offline
How to reach your target market
While each buyer persona is different there is one sure method in how best to reach them: provide them with relevant and useful content that speaks to their interests. This can be anything from well-written blogs on your website to pertinent social media posts.
You should also use your buyer persona to determine the design and content of your website or print advertisements. For example, if you’re marketing to senior citizens, you might want to use a larger-than-normal font and a more conservative tone.
Need help creating content marketing, graphic design or a modern website to impress your target market? Contact Hunter & Scribe at [email protected]. Our friendly experts will make sure your small business’ marketing is effective and provides value for money.